In 2009, Melissa and Shelley started SqueakyCleanReads.com, a book website providing detailed content reviews in the areas of violence, profanity, sexual content, and mature themes. The hope was that those reviews could help people choose books that were appropriate for them and their family. SqueakyCleanReads.com went through several transformations as site users provided feedback. At the end of 2011, it became clear that it was time for SqueakyCleanReads.com to go through another transformation. Cindy, a reviewer, assumed management of the website and Compass Book Ratings was born.
So many books, so little time…
With thousands of books published each year, it can be mind-boggling to select a book. Compass Book Rating’s mission is to provide readers with the ability to target in on the right book for them by age, genre, starred literary review, and especially by content. We do the background work so you can customize your parameters. By providing a standardized rating system, readers can more easily navigate and evaluate their reading options. Movies have ratings…Television Shows have ratings…Games have ratings…and now, books have ratings, too.
Why Use Compass Book Ratings?
Yes, there are several content review websites on the web. However, here is what we think you will love about Compass Book Ratings:
- You can search by content level. Most web sites allow you to search by title or maybe genre, but at Compass Book Ratings you can customize your search for your personal comfort level. Love a good murder mystery and don’t mind a detailed crime scene, but prefer not to know every detail of a bedroom scene? Then set your violence/gore rating higher and your sex/nudity rating lower. Looking for a book for a younger reader? Set the ratings lower and pick an age group to get a custom reading list.
- You can make a custom reading list. Sometimes you don’t have a specific title in mind, but you would just like some suggestions based on your content preferences. With Compass Book Ratings, you can make your own list or a list for a family member.
- You make the call on the reading material. Compass Book Ratings recognizes that everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to content. We give you the facts, but we don’t put books into categories.
- We catalog books for children, young adults, and adults. Many websites focus on children and young adult literature, but we also review books for older readers.
- We use a formalized review process for content analysis. Compass Book Ratings Book Reviewers use a structured checklist to assign content ratings. This produces more consistent results than random reviewers giving personal opinions.